Open Access Database (2017-2019)
- Funding: FWF (ORD 66-VO)
- Project duration: 15.09.2017 until 31.12.2019
- Project manager: Martin Hummel (Department of Romance Studies)
- Data collection: Katharina Gerhalter (Department of Romance Studies)
- Data modelling: Gerlinde Schneider and Christopher Pollin (ZIM, Austrian Centre for Digital Humanities)
The objective of this cooperation project between the Department of Romance Studies and the ZIM (Centre for Information Modelling - Austrian Centre for Digital Humanities) is the creation of an Open Access Database "Adjective-Adverb Interfaces in Romance". This will render linguistic data of the adjective-adverb phenomenon found in Romance languages generally accessible and usable by implementing an annotated and lemmatised online corpus. In the sense of Open-Access these linguistic data, which are the basis of scientific publications on this topic, are to be rendered comprehensible and publicly available.This project will be the first to collect scientific linguistic data of Romance adjective-adverbs according to the norms and standards established by the CLARIN ERIC (Common Language Resources and Technology Infrastructure / European Research Infrastructure Consortium for Language Resources). These data will be technically processed by the ZIM.
The pan-Romance corpus will be divided into multiple sub-corpora consisting of the individual Romance languages: French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Romanian. On the one hand, data retrieved from the Dictionnaire historique de l'adjectif-adverbe ant the already published SH3-Chapter adjetivos adverbiales (Hummel 2014), will be made available. On the other hand, new data will be collected by both the Research group and postgraduates. This process will also include cooperations with international project partners: Adrian Chircu (University of Cluj-Napoca, Romania), Adam Ledgeway (University of Cambridge, UK - (south-)Italian data), and the group "Discurso & Gramática" (University of Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil). In the course of this project, a cross-linguistically applicable model for the classification and annotation of adjective-adverbs and similar phenomena, e.g. adverbial prepositional phrases, is to be developed. This will also allow for the integration of new data and corpora in the future.
- Christopher Pollin, Gerlinde Schneider, Katharina Gerhalter, Martin Hummel (2018): Semantic Annotation in the Project “Open Access Database ‘Adjective-Adverb Interfaces’ in Romance”. Proceedings of the Workshop on Annotation in Digital Humanities. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, 41–46. ceur-ws.org/Vol-2155/. [pdf]
As soon as the first version of this online-corpus will be available, the link leading to the database will be provided here.